To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Alpa (Off Topic)
From: Chuck Warman <cwarman@wf.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 13:33:48 -0500

At 07:08 PM 8/14/96,Adrian wrote:

>I don't believe they made any of their own lenses for the camera.  An
>assortment of European manufacturers produced lenses in the Alpa mount.  The
>standard lens that came with the camera was the close-focusing Macro Switar
>50mm (I forget the manufacturer).  It had an ingenious system of dots on the
>barrel that changed color as you rotated the aperture ring to show you the
>depth-of-field.  Others lenses I had were by Old Delft and Angieneux.
>Schneider made some too I think, but I didn't own any of them.  Lenses,
>filters, and accessories were almost impossible to find in regular camera
shops
>by the late 1970's, so one really had to hunt around.  It was really a labour
>of love to own an Alpa.

I have an Alpa 11el with a Macor-Switar (mfd. by Kern, BTW); but I also have
a Leicaflex-to-Alpa adapter, which works great (in stop-down mode, of
course) & which may be my ticket to a villa on the Riviera.  ;-)
I pull out my Alpa whenever I'm feeling particularly funky. Using it is
truly, as you say, a *labor* of love.

Chuck
Chuck Warman
cwarman@wf.net   (Wichita Falls, TX)
"The abdication of Belief / makes the Behavior small."
                                 ----Emily Dickinson