To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Zeiss lenses for Leica
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 22:04:04 -0400

At 10:38 PM 8/12/96 +0100, Douglas McLernon wrote:

>Someone out there mentioned Zeiss lenses for rangfinder Leicas. How many and
>what modern Zeiss lenses are availabe for III series or M series Leicas? Are
>you refering to pre-war Germany designs made in the old USSR or East Germany
>(Jena), or special mounts for newer designs.

There are no "prewar" designs made in the former USSR.  There ARE late
wartime Zeiss lenses -- almost the entire Contax lens range, in fact --
still being manufactured in Russia in LTM.  The Soviets stole the Zeiss lens
works and moved its machinery to the KMZ plant outside of Moscow precisely
as we stole the corporate brains and took those to the West.  I use all of
these a good deal on both my IIIc and my M6.

Zeiss itself produced the 8/28 Tessar, 2.8/35 Biogon, 1.5/50 Sonnar, 2/50
collapsible Sonnar, 2/85 Sonnar, and 4/135 Sonnar in LTM during the War.  A
small run of 2/50 rigid lenses were produced in 1945 or 1946, as was an
extremely limited run (25?) of 1.5/60 Sonnar lenses.  Finally, there is the
quite enigmatic 1.5/58 "Leica" Sonnar, whose provenance has not yet been
determined.

The last of these Zeiss-produced lenses dates from 1947 or so, though the
Russian clones are still in production.  Despite their age, these are
superlative lenses -- they are as capable of all but the most cutting-edge
lenses produced today.  Please bear in mind that the concentration of
optical engineers since 1939 has been to MAINTAIN quality while REDUCING
production costs, not in increasing quality.  A lot of these older lenses
are still competitive today.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!