To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Incomplete Serial Numbers
From: gthrall@ix.netcom.com (Glenn Wm. Thrall)
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 1996 22:49:40 -0700

>Don't insurance companies list the serial numbers of high dollar items
in the N.C.I.C. computer?

>Therefore, if I file a claim using one of your serial numbers, and at
>some later date you file a claim with the same serial number, or if
you advertise a lens, body, or whatever with the same serial number and
>someone runs it through N.C.I.C. it will come back as stolen.

Bill,

When a serial number is known at the time a crime report is taken, or
discovered in the later investigation, the serial numbers are input
into a number of locations ... including NCIC, Department of Justice
for a State, a regional association of police agencies, FBI, and
others.

When an item is "run" a number of serial numbers will often return. The
serial number of the camera or lens may be the same as the serial
number of a Smith & Wesson revolver.

Also on the printout are descriptions of the item.

The officer then telephones the police agency who initiated the report
of the most likely items (i.e., the Leica ... not the Smith & Wesson)
and has them read it to him, or fax it to him, or both. He may then
either call or go to the victim's business or residence. The local
police agency will usually do that as a courtesy. Additional
information, dings, scratches, whatever, are important.

However, you made the point well. If the numbers are known, they will
be entered into many databases and can be run from either the local
police station, or even from the field.

A victim, seeing his (lens, handgun, television) listed will receive a
friendly reception at his local police station.

Personnel rating reports (for detectives as an example) are usually at
least partially based on crime clearances AND on gross value of items
recovered.

In the case of Shutterbug, the first few numbers provide the relative
age of the gear ... however I wouldn't buy anything from either a
dealer or private individual who refused to disclose the entire number
when asked.

And now back to our regularly scheduled topic.

Glenn

Glenn Thrall
gthrall@ix.netcom.com