To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leitz/Minolta CL: Question
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@cdsnet.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 08:16:35 -0700

At 10:58 PM 7/27/96 -0700, you wrote:

>Leica made a big deal when the CL was introduced that the CL lenses would
probably NOT
>work properly with the other M cameras due to their different type of RF cam.
One thing I've learned is that if Leica says something about their
equipment, it might be more splitting hairs than other companies would do,
but they don't lie. And I thought their main point was some Leica M lenses
won't work right on CL bodies. They had nothing to do with the CLE.

>The other thing that surprised me, however, is that CLE with its longer RF
would
>consistently focus more accurately than the CL--regardless of lens being
used.  The KEY
>word is "more."    Sometimes the CL/CLE would focus the same.   But when
there was a
>difference,  it would be the CL that was less accurate--about 30% of the time

Why in the world is that surprising? A longer rangefinder base is the major
reason for more focusing accuracy in the first place.

>By the way,  the  Minolta lenses for the CLE are multi-coated.

Most lenses from that era are.
Eric Welch
Grants Pass (OR) Daily Courier
NPPA Region 11 JIB chair
"I think not," said Descartes, and disappeared.

Replies: Reply from Cameras <Cameras@ix.netcom.com> (Re: Leitz/Minolta CL: Question)