To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: 50mm F:2 Summicron-DR (with eyes) ... Opinions?
From: wilcox@umcc.umich.edu (Ken Wilcox)
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 1996 10:01:38 -0400

I own and use one regularly. It is one of 2 50mm Summicrons I use on my M
bodies, the other being a second version Summicron. The DR is optically the
same as the original "rigid" Summicron that some Leica users prefer to the
more modern one. According to Eastland, it has slightly less contrast than
the second or third versions and therfore might be more desirable in some
situations, especially with color. I personally don't see much difference
with mine. I use the DR when I might want to get close, but use the other
at other times becaue it is lighter.

Both of mine have removable heads for Visoflex use.

The closeup range is handy if you are switching back an forth between
closup and normal shooting. I recently used mine at an old car show and it
was more convienient than switching to the Visoflex and back all the time.

For "heavy duty" closeup work I prefer the 65 Elmar and Viso, but the DR
Summicron also gets a lot of use.

BTW-You can get the same closeup range in the same way by using a SOOKY-M
with the head of a 50mm Summicron. Less money, but less convienient.

Cheers!

kw

>Has anyone had experience with the 50mm F:2 Summicron-DR (with eyes)?
>
>I am seeking opinions, either positive or negative, regarding the lens.
>A month or so ago there was some discussion regarding the lens, however
>it appeared to center on what the creature should be called, not how
>well it performs and the uses to which it might be put.
>
>In any event, I am considering it. Prices (used) appear to be in the
>$450-$500 range for a unit advertised with a whole bunch of plus marks.
>"Mint" would obviously be better, however an older lense and "Mint"
>often do not go together!
>
>The thoughts, and experiences, of those on the Leica List would be
>greatly appreciated.
>
>This would be a "second" 50mm lense. In the 50mm range I use a 50mm
>F:1.4 Summilux ... and am happy with it.
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>Glenn
>
>Glenn Thrall
>gthrall@ix.netcom.com