To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: European vs Japanese CARS
From: aiverson@ix.netcom.com (Al Iverson)
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 10:18:55 -0700

CARS?

I drive an old 928-S4, so my perspective is a "little" skewed off
center.  I once raced a 1969/70 Datson 240Z.  ('69 'cause it was
actually produced in August, 1969 and one of the first imports).

It was fun and pretty fast. Got close to a few trophies (did snag a few
from State troopers! @#$@%), but it was a lot of fun to drive.  Which
is why I bought it.  Then, I stumbled across a '69 911T with triple
Webers!  What a difference.  Top speed - higher. ride - softer.
Cornering - better, much better.  And, didn't rattle when you closed
the door.

The S4?  Gran Touring with a capital GT.  Fast, comfortable, handles
like nothing else, and makes long trips a relaxing, fun experience. The
NSX? Saw bright red one at the local Porsche dealer.  Was told the
owner tried driving it to San Diego, got to Tucson and turned around.
Week later traded it in on a 2-yr old 928-GT.  Now travels anywhere.

Cameras? Leica, Nikon, Canon, MInolta, etc....  One of the first
lessons taught in a photo class is, "The camera is nothing more than a
mechanical means of holding film in a light-tight atmosphere at the
proper distance from a lens and providing a selected amount of light to
pass through."  Nothing more, nothing less.

Anything more are user convenince items, just like that am/fm/cdrom in
the dash.  I use Leicas because, I save money and get good pictures I
hope I can sell.  I buy all used ($$$) and take good care of them and
the accessories.  Lenses? Leitz makes good ones that I know will work.

So does just about everyone else.  I would wager a Good Photographer
could take a $50 Zenit or Fed and take saleable pictures.

Manual/mechanical vs. AUTO-this-and-that? Take your pick, neither one
is better than the other, unless the person using it needs the feature
to do their work.  I like mechanical (even tho I use the electronic
R3-MOT), since it doesn't depend on batteries or circuit boards.  Also
usually cheaper to repair.  BUT, there has been more than one time I
saved a picture thanks to the auto exposure.  And I can hand a body to
my able assistant, pretty sure the exposure will be acceptable.

Want full manual? Either load a roll of B&W in a Leica I (w/o rfdr), -
or the the ultimate "real" experience, try and take a picture at that
scenic outlook with an old 8x10 view camera- that's fun! :)