To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us, leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica Optical Web site
From: "Roger L. Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 1996 16:48:10 -0700 (MST)

>My comment about the Leica Optical Web site was directed at a corporate
>direction I would rather not see. If the company wants to use the Leica
>name and logo, I am sure it has the legal right to do it. But it does
>appear to me to be trading on the only recognizable and respected name
>the company owns and attempting to transfer the grand tradition and
>respect and value that the LEICA name has enjoyed and demeaning it by
>putting the LEICA brand name on refractometers and surveying gear and
>who knows what else.

Exactly, Fred, and that is one of the ways that multifaceted companies use
already respected names. You can disagree with Leica's policy, but it'll
take a while to shake itself out. Only in retrospect will we be able to say
whether it was a good move or not.

>The value, recognition, and historical place that Leica had had will not
>likely be enhanced by this move. Microscopes and binoculars perhaps, and
>even enlargers and projectors, but all the rest, I wish not.

Again, we'll just have to see.

>That was what I meant by my comment. Nothing more, nothing less.

Me too!
     --
     Roger Beamon,  Naturalist & Photographer
                               Docent:  Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum