To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Light leak problem?
From: photo-op@ix.netcom.com (Bill)
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 16:10:32 -0700

You wrote:

>Gentlemen:
>
>I have an R5 which has given me outstanding service, until recently.
On my
>last few rolls, I have noticed flashes of light over small portions of
any
>(but my no means all) of my photos.  They do not seem consistent in
>location, but are obviously caused by minor light leaks.
>
>Further observatons reveals that only frames which are left sitting in
the
>frame when the camera is left for some time (hours, days, it matters
not)
>exhibit the problem.  If you take, say 6 photos in a few minutes, the
first
>will show the problem, but not the rest of that series.  The frame
which
>then sits, waiting for the next set of shots will show the problem!
>
>Careful examination of the camera reveals that when I close the back,
there
>is quite noticeable "play" when I press on the latch end of the cover.
>Perhaps 1/8" or so. I do not recall this amount of play being
noticeable
>before, and I wonder - has anybody on this list had any experience
with this
>type of problem.
>-----------
>David Young: youngs@IslandNet.com

Hi David,

I have had the same problem.  First of all, put a piece of black
electrical tape over the window and that will immediately solve your
probelm.

Second, Call the 800 number for Leica service and they will send you a
couple of the 'little black foam things' (technical term) that keep the
light from leaking inside the camera.  They send them to you free, they
even pay the postage.

Regards,
Bill Erfurth
Evergreem, CO  US