To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Difference between 2 and 3 lug R lenses.
From: David Young <youngs@IslandNet.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 96 10:36 PDT

At 06:10 AM 20/07/96 -0700, you wrote:
> There is someone locally, selling a 50 2.0, a 90 2.8, and a 35 2.8, all of
>which are R lenses.  How can I tell if they are three or two lug lenses,
>and what are the differences.  I will try and find out exactly which lenses
>they are so I can seek more specific advice.  Also, there was one R model
>made, I think it was the R3.  It was made in Portugal or some such place,
>and is usually sold for a pittance ($2-300).  Is it a "junk" model?  And
>what would be a good chassis for these lenses without spending too much?
>The owner has an SL.  I am going to offer her $600 for all four items, if I
>decide to go for it.
>
>                                                Claude.

Hi Claude!

I owned an R3 for a few years.  Bigger and bulkier than later models, it
took excellent photos, but was a bit cantakerous.  If you took a photo
(arpeture priority mode) with the apeture set such that the shutter spead
was above 1/1000th;instead of indicating an over-range, the shutter would
simply stay open for 6 to 10 seconds while you stood there holding it!

Other than that, it worked great! I understand from others, however, that
the R3 had many flaws which turned up in various examples. The R3-MOT was
apparently much better.

I wouldn't blame the Portugese for the problems,  My R5 is made in Portugal,
and until now (another post to follow on that score), I've been *very* happy
with it.

If the lenses are for use on the R3, they should all be 3-cam lenses.

As for your $600 price... Do you have a license to steal? :>

 If they're in good shape - it's a good deal if you can get it!
David Young: youngs@IslandNet.com