To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Craftsmanship
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@cdsnet.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 21:04:57 -0700

At 06:11 PM 7/17/96 -0400, you wrote:

>>...However, technologies do peak out.
>
>As film appears to be doing even now, sadly.

It's not becaue it can't get better. In 86 Kodak was saying they could
probably squeeze 10X more imaging quality out of film. Unfortunately, that
was before they made major cuts in research. Dang. Fuji is still making very
nice stuff, though. Mabye when the lawsuits settle, they'll have to go back
to competing honestly.

>The current production equipment seems to provide the best combination of
>color saturation, contrast, and sharpness for my taste, but I must agree that
>(allowing for sample variations) _some_ of the older lenses have slightly
>better sharpness. The exception I would make to this is my new-formula 50mm

Have you tried any of the APOs? They are stupendous. And the 35 Summilux R.
It's scary it's so good. But on the average, I think your right.

Eric Welch
Grants Pass (OR) Daily Courier
NPPA Region 11 JIB chair

"I think not," said Descartes, and disappeared.