To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: leica and APS
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 1996 09:29:17 -0700

At 05:17 PM 7/9/96 +0800, you wrote:

>Perhaps good news for  the users who might see a drop in the price of leica
>lenses that are made by Kyocera.  Definitely good for Kyocera whose
>reputation will be enhanced by leica.  It seems to be a  win-win situation.
>
>I don't know whether this should be interpreted as a good sign or not.  It
>all depends on how one would feel if Mercedes and BMW were to be made by
>Mitsubishi.

We've lived with Minolta making them for years. The new 70-180 2.8 is made
by Leica in Germany. That's all I'd care about if I was buying Leica zooms.
Sigma makes one zoom. The 28-70. Panasonic must be making some parts for the
other one, the 70-210 or whatever. It's still identical to the one Minolta
made for Leica for years.

But you seem to missing my point that Kyocera is the prime cermics maker in
Japan. And not only that, they make most of Contax's Zeiss lenses (heck,
they ARE Contax), except a few exotics like the 300 2.8 Tele Apo Tessar, the
15mm lens (made also for Leica - and the same design is made by Pentax and
Nikon for their lines) and a couple others by Zeiss in Germany.

My point, in case I haven't been clear is, of all independent manufacturers
of lenses, I'd pick Zeiss's over any other. So this is very good news, and
I'd bet Kyocera doesn't think Leica will enhance their reputation. They
think they make the best lenses in the world, and in some cases, they're
right. But we know better about the overall systems. ;-)

Eric Welch
Grants Pass Daily Courier
NPPA Region 11 JIB Chair

Bumper Sticker: "Horn doesn't work; Watch for finger"