To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica and APS
From: DFeldman@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 01:20:39 -0400

I think that Eric has some very good points, but he does not make them strong
enough.

APS is not a serious threat to the 35mm film format, it is a VERY serious
threat to the 35mm point and shoot cameras manufacturers.

I have read that a typical "snapshooter" shoots around 4 rolls of film a
year! I consider myself to be a hobbyist, and I shoot 50 - 60 rolls a year,
and that seems tiny compared to Eric's 1,000 rolls. We are probably in a
typical 80/20 situation, with 20 percent of the photographers shooting 80
percent of the film. These photographers are not likely to switch to the
inferior APS format.

However, probably at least 80 percent of the new 35mm cameras sold are basic
point and shoots. Most folks who use these cameras use them for special
events, vacations, etc. They are the ones who have trouble loading their
cameras, and to whom APS should appeal.

Bear in mind, even 20 percent of the 35mm film market (including processing)
is a sizeable chunk, and worthy of pursuing.

David Feldman
Davis, CA

Subj:   Re: Leica and APS