To: "Leica Users Group" <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>, <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>
Subject: Re: "high tech" data storage
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@apple.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 96 09:18:47 -0700

>I, for one, will not rush to convert my images into digital form...

I agree with you, I'm not rushing too quickly to put everything into
purely digital form, but I think we're in a much better situation now
than 10 years ago. The standardization of storage media and formats
in use now ensures that as the next great storage media comes along
there will be many ways to transfer the data that never really existed
in the Vic 20, etc. era. Too many people have too much in their existing
data systems now for them to disappear so quickly and without translation
capabilities.

However, I much prefer having a book of pictures that I can leaf through
quietly, not glowing at me ... the problem for me is how to put such nice
books together given limited time and facilities for darkroom work at
hand. Digital darkroom work is so much easier... then all I need is a
very high quality printer to put the end result together :)

However, nothing takes the place of a nice print on good paper from
the darkroom. There's something special about it that is otherwise lost
in a mechanical printing process.

Godfrey