To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Looking for Leica service recommendations
From: pgs@thillana.lcs.mit.edu (Patrick Sobalvarro)
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 17:01:15 -0400

   From: fortunko@boulder.nist.gov (C.M. Fortunko)
   Date: Mon, 01 Jul 1996 18:38:03 -0600

   Roger,

   I did not even think about spare parts, but you make a very good point.

   Also, what about the two cams needed by the SL/SL2 cameras. Are all new
   lenses going to support only the R cameras?

My impression is that all new reflex lenses have only the R cam, but
most can be modified for the SL/SL2 cams by Leica.  This is certainly
true for the most exotic new piece, the Vario-APO-Elmarit-R 70-180
zoom -- see http://www.leica-camera-usa.com/release4.html.

On to another topic: I bought a Bellows-R recently and did some macro
photography with it over the weekend.  I found that my 135mm Elmarit-R
served as a pretty convenient macro objective, but the furthest
distance at which it could focus was about 40 cm or so from the front
element, so that I couldn't photograph objects more than about 10 cm
across.  The 50mm Summicron-R is much more limited in range -- the
furthest distance at which it can focus is perhaps 7 or 8 cm.  This
leaves quite a gap in what I can photograph, from the furthest objects
on which I can focus with the bellows to the closest on which I can
focus without the bellows.

I was very happy with my photographs, but I was wondering -- will the
100mm/f4 macro lens made specifically for use with the bellows (that
is, the flat-field lens without the focusing mount) focus on objects
further away than the 135mm lens does, when mounted on the bellows?  I
would consider buying one if it can, because these lenses can be had
reasonably cheaply, for $300 -- $400.

-Patrick Sobalvarro