To: leica-users <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Subject: Re: Summicron 50: Bad design of sun shade and lens cap
From: ATANOVIC <ATANOVIC@genre.com>
Date: 2 Jul 96 18:31:21
Cc: otto <otto@cs.uit.no>, captyng <captyng@vtx.ch>

>A year ago I got the newest Summicron 50mm with the integrated sun shade
>and the new lens cap. As far as I can tell the sun shade is really too
>small and collapses too easily when pushed offering not enough
>protection of the front lens element. And rain and snow (I live at 70'
>North) reaches the front lens element too easily.
>
>In addition, the lens cap falls off all the time due to a locking
>mechanism made from weak plastic. When I grab the M6 from the bag, and it
>comes up without the lens cap, I am never sure if its in the bag or on
>the ground.
>
>Optically it is a great lens. But I want the old sun shade and cap back.
>

>Otto
>Tromso, Norway
>

>Interesting information. I bought last year a Summilux 1.4/35mm ASPH which
>has a solid, lightweight sunshade. The thing is badly engineered and gets
>off the lens very easily. I complained with Leica who gave me a new sunshade
>but this did not resolve the problem as it is structural.
>
>As there are already many adjustments to be made at the M6 before making a
>picture (as compared to an everything automatic SLR) more time waisted, by
>reinstalling the sunshade before being able to push the releasebutton, is
>not really contributing to informal, candid pictures.
>
>But the Summilux 1.4/35mm is a really  e x c e l l e n t   lens.
>
>Gerard Captijn,
>Geneva, Switzerland.

I agree with you, Otto, that the design of the cap and pull-out shade on the
latest Summicron 50 is poor.  The worst part is the new design prevents you
from fitting an older model clip-on shade to it if you wanted to.

Gerard, they must have heard your complaints: the very newest shade for the
1.4/35mm Asph has a rotating lock-ring on it which secures it to the lens.  I
had an earlier serial number of the lens with the sunshade you describe: yes,
pretty shoddy.  The one I have currently has the new locking design shade and
also a wrap-around rubber shade-cap that covers up the viewfinder cutaway when
it's on.  I will see if it has an order number on it.  Perhaps you can exchange
it.

Adrian Tanovic
Tokyo