To: "Leica Users Group" <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Subject: Re: Fill-in flash ...
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 96 09:37:43 -0700
Cc: "Ohtonen Pasi" <ohtonen.2@swsgen01es.ntc.nokia.com>

My favorite and most accurate reference for fill flash calculation
with a manual camera is the Kodak Pocket Photoguide, Kodak
Publication No. AR-21, ISBN 0-87985-609-2. It's one of those handy
little heavy paper thing with massive piles of good information in
it. Their fill-flash calculator is based upon bright sun and
flash fill so doesn't cover the precise situation you are looking
for, which is low light exposure.

The technique that I've used for this kind of shooting is to
consider the flash exposure the primary exposure and the ambient
light the fill. I set aperture and working distance based upon
flash output (auto-flash doesn't work well for this), and I adjust
shutter speed for varying degrees of ambient fill. That gives you
a nicely frozen main exposure, with a certain halo effect from the
motion of people and camera in the ambient fill. It makes for
a fairly pleasing effect, although it takes a bit of experimentation
to find combinations that work for your needs.

The only minor difficulty using this technique with the Leica M
is that the limited maximum shutter speed for X flash synch reduces
the number of options in the ambient fill. I've usually found my
best results for the kind of circumstances you're looking at (wedding
or party, indoors, etc) have the shutter speed around 1/8-1/15
second though so it's not too big a limitation. The options
when using a leaf shutter camera (my Rollei 35 or once upon a
time the Rolleiflex) just allow more flexibility with reducing
the amount of ambient fill.

Godfrey

Replies: Reply from Michael Volow <mvolo@acpub.duke.edu> (Re: Fill-in flash ...)