To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Fill-in flash with M6?
From: Michael Volow <mvolo@acpub.duke.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 10:00:20 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: leica-users <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>

I tried doing the same thing, not with my M6, but with my Nikon FE2. I did
set my camera just at the available light exposure (1/30th at f2), or
slightly underexposed. I set the flash (Vivitar 600 Series 1) on TTL. I
tested the combination with 0-3 stops flash underexposure compensation
dialed in on the camera so that the flash would just be fill-in.

My idea was to use the available light exposure to keep the background
exposed, but to have fill flash to balance out the shadows in the faces
usually obtained with available light.

I don't think it worked very well. the light was not flattering. (The
available light was mostly flourescent.) The problem is that the output of
most medium priced shoe-mount flashes can't be reduced enough the just
fill in shadows. At least not like the old Polaroid Wink-light (how many
of you remember this one?) I don't know if built-in flashes (such as on
the Nikon 6006, N70) handle this better>.

I plan to experiment with an old, small manual flash and reduce its power
with diffusion material. But I wish for a more modern solution. One
profession shoe-mount flash (Quantun does seem to have many power levels
but costs between $300-400).

If anyone has a better solution for the M6 and other cameras, I would
also like to hear it.

Mon, 24 Jun 1996, Ohtonen Pasi wrote:

> Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 08:17:28 +0300
> From: Ohtonen Pasi <ohtonen.2@swsgen01es.ntc.nokia.com>
> To: leica-users <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
> Subject: Fill-in flash with M6?
>

> I think this topic is almost heretic on this list, but...
>
> The main reason for me for getting an M6 is shooting
> in available light. However, there are situations, where
> a modern p&s camera - like the Leica Minilux or Leica
> Mini would be a better choice - simply because of the
> flash capabilities.
> Now, it would be the easiest solution to own both the
> Mini and the M6, but it has would divert my shots to
> two different cameras - the other would be used for
> exposing 30 rolls of film per year and the another only
> for 1..2 rolls per year. I don't think it would be a good
> solution for me.
> I would like to find out, how to get the "modern" fill-in
> flash effect with M6, just enough to stop the movement,
> with 35mm lens, from the distance of - say - 1,5 to 3
> meters (indoors), shutter at 1/8 sec .. 1 sec and f-stop
> according to...?
>
> Here are my points of concern:
>  - does the X-sync of Leica M6 work with slower shutter
> speeds than nominated 1/50 sec setting? This is
> really the main issue.
>  - Are there any flash units that contain adjustable "delay"
> for getting the sync near to the trailing edge of the shutter?
> The latter would be a nice "plus".
>
> I was thinking to underexpose from one to two f-stops from
> the M6 meter reading and fill the gap with automatic flash
> set according to experimentation. For example, dancing
> at the wedding, indoors, shutter at 1/2, f8, touch of flash to
> stop the dancers... Has anybody on this list tried this with
> M6? Any hints?
>
>  These kind of situations are not so common to me to
> justify another camera or camera system. It is also a
> matter of principle...;-)
>
> Regards,
>
> Pasi Ohtonen

Michael Volow, M.D. (mvolo@acpub.duke.edu)
Department of Psychiatry, Durham VA Medical Center, Durham, NC
919 286 0411 Ext 6933