To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: 50mm Summicron
From: FortunkoC@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 08:53:30 -0400

Hans,

It would seem to me that more contrast also means more shadow detail.

Generally, I agree with you. I also like to follow Jonathan Eastland
recommendations. Incidentally, he prefers Nikon lenses for contrast. Have you
seen his book on darkroom techniques?

Also, I find that the new 50 Elmar seems to produce the most pleasing results
for me. It is small and ergonomic. I have not done any scientific
comparisons, but the image quality appears to have a superior character of
its own. I really like this lens.

I have not sold my second version Summicron, because it appears "softer" than
the third version. This may be an advantage in portraiture.

I agree with Mr. Small about the new 90mm Elmarit. However, my fat 90 mm
Elmarit appears to make softer and gentler images. It also exhibits superior
workmanship and is small. Size is an issue.

Leica M lenses should remain small. I don't like the recent trends. The
lenses now are much fatter, perhaps to accomodate the built-in hoods.

Best regards,

Chris