To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica IIIf questions
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 11:13:47 -0400

The IIIf was produced from 1950 until 1957.  It was the first Postwar
rethinking of the basic LTM design and was the final flowering of the basic
format (the IIIg was conceived as a 'new generation' LTM camera -- had the
thread-mount concept survived, future designs would have worked from the
IIIg's layout and not that of the IIIf.)

The IIIf cameras all have flash synch.  To accomodate different synch
requirements -- as for a variety of flashbulbs as well as electronic flash
-- the synch delay was adjustable by means of a dial set under the
fast-speed dial on the camera's top plate.

>From 1950 until 1952, 71,000 IIIf bd cameras were produced, 1,000 of these
in Canada.   The IIIf bd shares its shutter design with the IIIc camera and
has the same shutter-speed arrangement which included 1/30, 1/40, 1/60,
1/100, 1/200, 1/500, and 1/1000".  Synch was at 1/30".

>From 1952 until 1953, 54,000 IIIf rd cameras are produced, again with 1,000
of these emanating from Canada.  These cameras had a new, lighter, shutter
crate with 1/25, 1/50, 1/75, 1/100, 1/200, 1/500, and 1/1000".  Flash synch
was at 1/50", pretty snazzy for the era.

>From 1954 until 1957, 59,100 IIIf rdst cameras are produced, 3,367 in
Canada.  There are also some bdst cameras but these are believed to have
been returned to the factory for the addition of the self-timer.

Only 190 of the Canadian cameras are so marked;  the others bear Wetzlar
markings.  I believe the cameras marked "Ernst Leitz Canada" are all IIIf rdst.

These are nifty cameras, though I personally prefer the IIIc.  That's why
I'm selling my IIIf rdst.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!