To: leica-users <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Subject: Kodak & Fuji in Japan (off topic)
From: ATANOVIC <ATANOVIC@genre.com>
Date: 14 Jun 96 19:04:31

Eric wrote:
>I don't think Fuji is justified in dumping paper on the
>U.S. market like they were a couple years ago, but as
>far as I hear it, you can buy Kodak film in many places
>in Japan. Is that not true?

>From what I can see here in Tokyo, Kodak products seem pretty widely
available.  In fact I believe Yodobashi Camera stocks just about every Kodak
film currently made, even stuff for aerial photography.  Their film basement is
pretty astounding, sort of an entire refrigerated floor where you walk around
with shopping baskets like in a supermarket; they've also got all the Agfas,
all the Ilfords, Fuji and Konica naturally, and some bizarre and dead-cheap
East European stuff with funny names I'm afraid to touch.  Most of the bigger
shops and many of the 1hr photo places carry at least some Kodak.  Outside of
Tokyo is probably another matter, and maybe that's the bone of contention: out
in smaller cities and towns it's pretty much Fuji.

I don't really know the specifics of Kodak's claim, other than to point to the
obvious market-share statistics.  But low market share doesn't automatically
mean unfair market practices.  If you ask the ordinary person in the
street---like the Japanese I work with in my office---they just say they prefer
Fuji:  they think the colors are more natural.  Sort of like people in North
America were a generation ago: Kodak was simply the best and they wouldn't
dream of using anything else.  But I think Kodak will eventually gain a bigger
following here;  they are really starting to advertise a lot and they sponsor a
popular soccer team (who all wear "Kodak" emblazoned across their jerseys).
They have quite a TV campaign going also, featuring young, rebellious, "with
it" Japanese doing things like tipping over a dinner table and photographing
the result with a Kodak instant camera.

Adrian