To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Kodak vs Japan Inc.
From: jredfern@ftn.net (J. Redfern)
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 96 13:16 EDT

>The aspect of this that is so intriguing is that the rise of corporate
>Japan after WWII largely rests on the willingness of the US to let its
>products enter with few or no restrictions, products that to a large
>extent were built in factories financed by US aid after the war. Japan's
>toll on US auto makers and the US electronic and photographic industries
>is well known. But Japan does want the same free competition inside
>Japan that is enjoys and even insists on worldwide.

You are right, this does not really belong on a Leica users group
listserver but is an interesting topic none the less. I beleive your
opinion to be a little simplistic, two dimensional and revealing of a US
media standpoint. The post second world war occupation and restructuring of
Asia is well documented (more reliable information is usually more freely
available outside US sources) to think that US "aid" is nothing more than a
magnanimous act of charity is mildly deluded to say the least. The US did
VERY well out of the post WWII restructuring; creating and often dominating
markets world wide for its products in various sectors with far reaching
effects and sometimes subtle repercussions, not the least of which are
cultural erosion, rural depopulation with the consequent migration to the
cities and declining popular land ownership and widespread diet change
(just think US beef and chickens). CORPORATE Asia is an American invention.
(A cursory overview of the creation of the Korean "chaebol" - Samsung,
Hyundai, Daewoo and co. would be a good starter.)
Besides in global economy where business IS war (when we're lucky) don't
you think that Kodak are big enough to look after themselves?
What is EKC's relationship to the NG?
Jae