To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica-Users List Digest V1 #92
From: Bob Sperling <bowtie@abest.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 20:55:03 -0400

At 07:22 PM 6/10/96 -0400, you wrote:
>My experience with dealers and desirable cameras like your IIIg is that you
>can usually get 60-75% from the right dealer. The right dealer is the one
>that has a customer for the item but doesn't have one in stock!
>
>You will get more from a private sale, but may have to deal with personal
>checks and trusting someone at long distance. If you sell locally, DON'T
>meet a stranger at home for such a valuable item. Suggest a public meeting.
>
>kw
>
>>My father has a IIIg in Mint/Mint- condition that he's interested in
>>selling along with the 50mm 2.8 collapsible lens. I follow the prices in
>>Shutterbug and have a pretty good idea what retail currently is. What I
>>was wondering is if anyone in LUG knows what the percentage of the retail
>>price is usually offered and whether it's better to sell via classifieds
>>or privately?

Tamarkin & Company is very legitimate and will pay 70% of retail.  He is
famous for no hassling.  Incidentally, in Sunday's NYT there is an article
that mentions him as the buyer of a GG with motor for $80,000.!! at auction
last month.  His web address is Http://www.tamarkin.com
bowtie (admittedly, Stan is a friend of mine)