To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Got my M3 fixed (finally)
From: MBell@mail.utexas.edu (Michael Bell)
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 17:11:07 -0500

Some month backs I asked this list about my M3's dim rangefinder image.
over $400.  Many folks mentioned that the mirror in the rangefinder might
need to be resilvered.  Some thought the whole rangefinder would need to be
replaced.  Many suggested that I should use Don Goldberg because he was
quicker and cheaper than Leica, and as good or better in some areas.

When I mentioned to Mr. Goldberg about the resilvering, he said that only
needs to be done if a bad previous repair had damaged the mirror in some
way.  He said the rangefinder probably only needed a good cleaning and that
was very common for Leicas of this age.

He cleaned the rangefinder and it is now absolutely beautiful, very bright
and clear.  The viewfinder as a whole looks better now too.  He also told
me the shutter curtain could use some cleaning and lubrication.  I told him
to do whatever was necessary but not too expensive.  The camera now works
better than it ever has for me (although I've only had it for about 3 years
of its 40+ year life).  The shutter is smoother and more quite than it was
before.  The total cost was $180 something including shipping.  I am quite
happy now!

A UPS note.  I found the package containing my camera sitting on my front
porch.    This despite the fact that the package had a sticker on it saying
"Adult signature required."  I am not sure even how long it was sitting
there since I usually go through the side door.  My wife got it wet
watering her plants, but no harm done to the camera.

Michael Bell
MBell@mail.utexas.edu