To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us, leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Summicron Flare
From: "Roger L. Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 05:55:22 -0700 (MST)

-snip-

>I haven't used a UV filter on my Summicron in a long
>time, and I still get a lot of flare in my 'contre jour' pictures. Too bad,
>as that sort of shot can make an interesting picture when it works (on those
>rare occasions when the sun pops out here). About all I can do is move
>around and try to frame the shot so I'm not shooting directly into the sun.
>I guess I'd be interested to know if the Summilux ASPH controls flare any
>better than the Summicron, but for now it's purely a hypothetical interest.
>
>Chuck Albertson
>Seattle, Wash.

Yeah, Chuck, you have occassional glimpses of the sun, whereas we take the
sun for granted. Sun induced flare is, therefore, a bigger problem for us.
If you live in the desert southwest, you never seem to tire of the
stereotypical shot. Teddy Bear Cholla with the sun directly behind the plant
and spilling over the edge is always fun, but does test your optics.

I have an ace in the hole, however. I have a Leica buddy here that just
acquired the 1.4/35 M ASPH. He's off for three weeks right now in Glacier
Nat'l Park, but when he gets back, I'm going to borrow it for half a day and
shoot a roll comparing it in flare prone conditions against the 2/35
Summicron. (Note to Bill Grimwood: Again, Bill, the advantage of a Leica bud
nearby) If anything earthshaking results, I'll post it.

BTW, Tucson is a doable trip for you, Chuck. Are we going to see you here in
October for the LHSA annual affair?
       --
       Roger Beamon,   Natural History Interpreter & Photographer
                                  Docent: Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum