To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Aspherical vs ASPH
From: Michael Reichmann <michaelr@interlog.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 18:27:47 -0400

At 09:49 AM 03/06/96 +0100, you wrote:

>>I do not have any experience of the 1990 lens, but I do own the 1994
model,<< snip...

Thank you for your interesting comments on the ASPH.  I enjoyed reading them
and it's providing grist for the mill in terms of my decision on whether to
buy one or not.  I look forward to responses from other owners.

Surprisingly, yours was one of the few responses that directly addressed my
query.  The vast majority of messages under this header have related to Mr.
Ward's reply and the ensuing heated exchanges.

After my initial response to Mr. Ward, in which I indicated that I didn't
take his comments personally, but nevertheless took exception to them, I
have remained quiet, hoping that we could return to the subject of Leicas
and Leica based photography.  Regretably there still appears to be some
steam to be let off.

What surprised me was that this all has taken place here, among Leica owners
and users.  If there is any place that one would expect to find people that
enjoy fine photographic equipment and who desire to discuss all aspects of
it, it's here.

Naturally, I respect Mr. Ward's right to voice his feelings.  But having
said that, I'm also getting awfully tired of those who join discussions
about the relative quality of equipment with the line, "It's not the
camera/lens/film (take your pick), it's the photographer.  A good
photographer can take great pictures with almost any camera.... look at HCB,
he used one 50mm lens for most of his pictures... etc, etc), ad nausium.

Back in the days when I made my living as a photojournalist I decided at one
point to get out of the game and sold most of my gear, (Nikon F, an M2 and
M3, a Hassy 500ELM, and a large pile of lenses for them all).  I used the
proceeds to fund a venture which didn't pan out.

Then, out of the blue, I got a wonderful assignment. A six month contract to
shoot stills for a TV mini-series, including illustrating a book by the very
well known author.  But, I had sold all my pro gear and all I had left was
an old a Minolta SRT-101, with 35, 50, 85 and 135mm lenses.  What to do?

Easy, I shot the largest assignment of my carear with what I had, the
Minolta.  Image quality was great, the network loved the work, and the
publisher used over 60 images in the book.

Does that mean that today I should still use the old Minolta (long since
gone, I'm afraid), since I proved that "it's the photographer, not the
camera"?  Rubbish!  I enjoy fine equipment and can afford it.  I don't WANT
the 35mm Summicron because someone says that for *him* it's good enough, I
want the ASPH because the type of shooting that *I* do can likely be
enhanced by its use, and I wish to use the knowledge base of this group to
help me with that decision.

Now, let's all go back to our various enjoyments of Leica photography;
including collecting, buying, selling using, testing and whatever else turns
our respective cranks.

Cheers to all,

Michael

Replies: Reply from Tom Hodge <thodge@charweb.org> (Re: Michael Reichmann beating a dead horse)