To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica fast ?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 1996 22:30:37 -0700

At 03:10 PM 6/3/96 GMT, you wrote:

>I dont still possess a Leica M6 and i have some questions about this mythical
>camera :
>Why do you say fast lens for a manuel lens ?

Rangefinders, with a base as wide as the M6 will focus lenses wider than
90mm more accurately than an SLR. Basic physics at work here. Check out the
latest "Leica View" (my mother who bought binoculars years ago gets it - me,
a pro whose bought thousands and thousands worth of Leicas doesn't) where
Ralph Gibson comments. He talks about how he has developed a fast shooting
technique with the Leica. You get to know the camera so well that it becomes
second nature to focus almost "on the spot" by feel before you bring the
camera to the eye, and then one last adjustment, and click. Still not as
fast as AF if you are follow focusing, but you work differently with auto
focus than you do with any manual focus camera. They are not as accurate,
but for action, you can't beat them.

>How can you evaluate the amout of light faster than an Electronic SLR ?

It IS fast, but not that fast.

>What about the lack of Flash TTL, the painful loading of the film, poor
>accuracy of the shutter, low synchro flash speed, no mark in viewfinder for
>the circle of the exposure meter (how can i measure the light with diff
>lens)...

The only good thing about flash on the Leica M6 is that you see the flash go
off through the viewfinder, so at least you know if the subject's eyes are
open. But I haven't used flash on my Leica more than once in the past year.
I bought a tiny Minolta flash to use for fill with it. But I just don't like
using flash at all with it. You can get a good idea of where the metering is
happening after using it, and studying the owner's manual. It's not that hard.

>What is the date for a perfect M7 model ?

Forget the M7, it's probably years off. If you're serious about photography,
you probably won't just use the Leica M system. But where it fits into the
picture, it fits very well.

Eric Welch
Grants Pass Daily Courier