To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: ASPH vs Aspheric
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 1996 16:01:54 -0400 (EDT)
Date-Warning: Date header was inserted by InfoAve.Net

Fred:  With all due respect, why do you think you are the only photographer
on this list who might need the best, fastest lenses.  Most of my
photographs are shot in the very dark interiors of campesino homes in Latin
America.  I try to be invisible with my equipment, never use flash, use a
tripod when I can but it's not always possible.  My photographs are used on
posters, post cards, calendars and brochures to raise money for
self-development programs. I also need the lightest possible cameras because
I have to carry everything and walk miles to reach these remote homes.  I
have gradually been replacing my Minoltas with Leicas when I could afford
to. Next week I will be taking 3 Leica M's and four fast, expensive lenses
to Honduras.  I know they will be worth every penny I paid for them.  I
don't approve of collecting Leicas to sit on the shelf any more than you do,
but there are people who need them and use them!  Tina

At 01:10 PM 6/1/96 -0500, you wrote:
>It is not often that I feel compelled to stop what I'm doing and reply
>to a thread here.
>I own and use a 24mm aspheric f/1.4 Canon lens for SLRs. It is
>sensational. And professionally I have had great success with it.
 There was no other way to get the images, one of which ran
>across a page in NGS.
>OK, great use of a great lens. But how many of us need that speed and
>quality? On my M-Leicas I use a 35mm Summicron, and at f/2 it is tiny
>and wonderful in every way. It will serve 99.9% of the people on this
>list perfectly well for 99.9% of their photographic work. How much are
>you willing to pay for 1 f/stop to get a bigger, much more expensive
>lens that is only marginally better at the stops where most pictures are
>made?
After all, folks, they are only cameras and lenses.... meant to be used
>and enjoyed. Get a life.
>
>Fred Ward

Images by Tina Manley
images@infoave.net