To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: ASPH vs Aspheric
From: "Richard W. Hemingway" <n5xrd@telepath.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 1996 12:03:52 -0500

At 11:35 AM 6/1/96 -0400, you wrote:
>I have a 35mm Summilux for my M6 and am reasonably happy with it.  Wide open
>it's naturally a bit soft and coma is visible.  But, from f/2.8 onwards it's
>a great lens.
>
>Recently I've been thinking about upgrading to the ASPH.  I'm a little
>confused though as to what the differences are between the current ASPH and
>the no longer available Aspherical.  Even my recent books, such as Lager,
>Volume II - Lenses, doesn't mention the ASPH.
>
>The Aspherical is almost mythical in its reputed capabilities.  My question
>is, how does the current ASPH compare?  I don't think I want to spring for
>an Asperical, even if one were available at the moment, but the ASPH is on
>the border of affordability.
>
>Appreciate everyones comments, particularly those who might have experience
>with both or either, and also anyone who has read any informed or
>authoratative opinons.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Michael
>
>ps:  I'm off on a 10 day business trip to Asia, (with my M6, 35mm Summilux
>and 90mm Elmar, of course), and I may not be able to log on every day.  If I
>don't reply right away, I'll be along shortly.

Michael,

I bought a 35mm /f1.4 ASPH and liked it very much until I took some pictures
in the mall of a shop that had small christmas lights hung all over it.  I
was shocked to  notice triangular flare on the lights near the edges and
corners!! I shot it again and same result.  Bought the lens new with
passport warranty.  When I needed money shortly thereafter I sold the M6, 35
ASPH and 75 1.4.  Recently purchased M6 again and this time I bought the
silver 35mm/f2.0.  It may not be quite as good a lens as the ASPH - but I
thought that elimination of flare was what I was paying for!!!  OTH I found
the lens quite sharp and would have been happy with it otherwise if I could
have kept it.  Others probably have had other experiences with it.  Dick