To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: R4 Winder question
From: wilcox@umcc.umich.edu (Ken Wilcox)
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 1996 12:27:50 -0400

A question for you R users from new owner.

I recently aquired an R-E for my wife. We added a used R4 winder as she
likes to burn film. She hasn't show it much as she prefers zoom lenses and
the the Vario Elmar we ordered has not arrived.

I shot a roll (24) in it yesterday. When the film came to an end, at about
26 shoots, the winder made a series of click-whir sounds. I rewound the
roll and put another one in. The winder would not function and would not
allow manual film advance/shutter operation. The camera worked OK whenthe
winder was removed.

In trying to diagnose the problem today, I noticed the the winder stops at
36 shots with film in the camera or not. I began to wonder if, when
shooting shorter rolls I have to stop at the number of shots on the roll
rather than going to all the way to the end of the roll. This seems to work
with this winder.

Is this the expected behavior for an R4 winder? Or did I buy a bummer? Is
this a common problem? Expensive to repair?

Thanks for any help offered.

Cheers!

kw

----