To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leitz Glass (but made in Japan)
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 15:20:27 -0700

At 09:23 PM 5/28/96 +0100, you wrote:

>This is an intriguing idea, though, because it suggests that any
>manufacturer on a par with Minolta could make Leica lenses once they
>have the specs! Or at least could make similarly good lenses. I've heard
>great things said of the lens on the tiny new Minolta kilobuck compact,
>and the Minolta lenses made for the CLE seem to be held in high regard.
>I know that a some Japanese audio manufacturers have designed amplifiers
>with a "British sound" to sell them over here- is it conceivable that
>Japanese manufacturers (other than Kyocera) might bring out lenses with
>a "German look" at some point?

I don't think so. The German look, for all the razzing it gets, costs a lot
of money. And any manufacturer can make quality goods, they just have to
want to. That's one reason the CL didn't go over well with Minolta, when it
was the Lecia version. Because they couldn't make it up to Leica's "specs"
and make what they thought was a good profit on it. There were too many
rejects. And that's one reason Minolta's 24mm lens, transformed into a Leica
lens costs so much more.

Eric Welch
Grants Pass Daily Courier

Replies: Reply from Edward Meyers <aghalide@phantom.com> (Re: Leitz Glass (but made in Japan))