To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Salgado
From: kabir@hsmpk14a-103.Eng.Sun.COM (Ihtisham Kabir)
Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 12:20:10 -0700

> From ewelch@gp.magick.net Thu May 23 11:44:27 1996
> To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
> Subject: Re: Salgado
>
> At 10:13 AM 5/23/96 -0700, you wrote:
>
> >Apparently Leica showers him with free cameras.
>
> Actually, the guy is very thrifty. He often travels fourth and fifth class
> on trains in third world countries, and while he was working on his book
> "Other Americas" he was able to stretch $20,000 over several years.

I don't know about him being thrifty, but I do know that he is
not afraid to look with open eyes at people who we would just as
soon forget about.

However, the machine gun shooting is corroborated by another anecdote
I read about him - his first big break came around some assignment in
the White House and the editor who had assigned him the work was
amazed at the number of pictures he had shot. Apparently he did not
speak English (or somehow did not understand the assignment) and
so to be safe shot pictures of everything related to the task at hand.

(I think the 2nd big break was around the  attempted assassination
on Pres. Reagan)

> Now, what sacrifices did you make for your Leicas? :-)

Although I have made some hard trips to take pictures I would
not call them sacrifice (remember what Koudelka said?)