To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: LEDs on R6 mirror box / Salgado
From: "joe b." <joe@azurite.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 21:00:06 +0100

Edi Weitz <weitz@math.uni-hannover.de> writes
>I was somewhat amazed by this because I couldn't figure out why you should have
>control signals on your camera that can only be seen by the one who is
>photographed but not by the photographer... [My only guess is: One of the LEDs
>is for the self-timer and Salgado was using it in order to have mirror pre-
>release.

On the R6/7 the mirror pre-release is obtained through a second cable
release socket near the base of the lens-mount. There is a tiny release
button that you can screw in there and it is a most useful accessory.
The externally-visible red light is for seeing what the set aperture is
in the viewfinder when ambient light is insufficient for this, and can
appear to be emanating from both windows sometimes, and of course is
also reflected off the aperture ring on the lens, which is what it is
meant to do- which might also give the impression of two lights in use.
--
joe b.