To: <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Subject: Unique items and Shipper's Insurance
From: Charles E. Dunlap <cdunlap@rupture.ucsc.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 May 96 10:58:10 -0700

>they don't insure
>unique items outside the US.

What, again, constitutes a unique item? Is anything with a serial number
considered a unique item? Does that imply that if B+H ships me a brand
new M6 and UPS loses it along the way that B+H can't collect on the loss?
What about a family heirloom diamond ring? It wouldn't have a serial
number, but it would be impossible to replace, unlike the new M6. It
seems that the serial number stipulation implies that the ring would be
insurable although it is unique. Even a unique item has value, so why
won't UPS and FEDEX insure them up to some limit?

I hope this isn't too much like the bar! :)   (It's probably a lot
simpler, and I'm just missing something.)

-Charlie

Charles E. Dunlap
Earth Sciences Dept.
University of California