To: Leica List <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Subject: lab problems.
From: Gary J Toop <gtoop@uoguelph.ca>
Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 10:23:44 -0400 (EDT)

>Many years ago, about 1958 or 59,  I was an editor at Modern Photography
>magazine. We used a famous black-and-white lab in NYC. The lab, I believe,
>had something to do with printing the Family of Man exhibit at MOMA.
>The head honcho  told me that Henri Cartier-Bresson was in town
>shooting. He used the new Agfa high speed black and white Isopan
>Record, said to be about ASA (ISO) 800, but pushable to big numbers,
>such as E.I.1,600 and 3,200, WHEN DEVELOPED AT A VERY LOW DIULUTION
>WITH AGFA RODINAL. The lab guy told me that he didn't know about
>the special development required, and attempted to process Cartier-
>Bresson's film in the usual D-76, slightly diluted and replenished.
>Ergo...very faint images were the result, even with the inspection
>development  and greatly extended times.
>I explained to the lab chief about Rodinal and the low dilution,
>just in case Monsieur Cartier-Bresson ever came back. I doubt it.

	That's a very interesting story.  I like Rodinal a lot and I have
heard that many people like it with TMax P3200 and Neopan 1600, although
not when these are pushed much.
	I have heard many different stories about the films/developers that
HCB used over his career - D-23, HP3, etc, but never about Isopan.  I would
be curious to learn a little more about his darkroom technique as it
seemed to do a great job of bringing out the best in his lenses: does
anyone know a source of this information?

Gary Toop

Replies: Reply from Edward Meyers <aghalide@phantom.com> (Re: lab problems.)
Reply from Edward Meyers <aghalide@phantom.com> (Re: lab problems.)