To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: OK....enough beer and inflation talk. I'm sorry I started it!
From: Edward Meyers <aghalide@phantom.com>
Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 09:34:51 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

On Mon, 6 May 1996, Tom Hodge wrote:

> LUG'ers,
>
> I just got a roll of Lumiere back from the local E-6 lab and there was a
> nasty note telling me my film was received damaged and couldn't be
> processed conventionally...extra charges becaz they had to out-lab it or
> something.  Film sprocket holes ripped to shreds, basically, so it
> wouldn't transport thru the auto E-6 developing machinery correctly.
>
> I'm shooting the trusty CL and have never, ever had this happen before.
> I grabbed a roll of expired stuff I forgot to remove from another bag and
> went thru the normal procedures and didn't find myself doing anything out
> of the ordinary or unusual when loading or advancing the film.
>
> I can't recall the "damaged" roll felt any differently while running it
> thru the camera either - no grinding or ripping sounds - but the tension
> sprocket DOES fell a tad stiff after opening the back up and playing
> around.
>
> Any comments anyone?  Suggestions?  Similarities?  Or should I just
> blindly plow ahead with another roll?
>
> BTW....suspiciously.....all exposures and frames came out OK and were
> mounted pretty well.
>
> This is the same lab I've used quite a while and the same dude running
> the machine.....he's the one that made the decision to out-lab it and I
> think he's a pretty straight-shooter.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Tom Hodge

I've been photographing for over 45 years and have a collection
of lab excuses. Sometimes they are valid. But many times they
put the blame on the photographer so that they don't have a
problem giving away free film or a lawsuit from a pro.
I have a CL and have never had such a problem. But one never
knows? They should not have charged extra. The machine they use
(if the sprocket problem was your fault) is not your problem.
Ed Meyers>