To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Some reflections; Leica thoughts
From: Edi Weitz <weitz@math.uni-hannover.de>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 10:50:53 +0200

>When you can find, Leicaphiles, try some EFKE film.  This is the old ADOX
>formulation much spoken of by Leica in the early 1950's.  It's produced
>under license from Du Pont in Zagreb.  It's kind of neat to shoot with the
>Earth-Shaking New Emulsion of 1952 ...

I didn't know that is was still in production. Where did you get it?

>As for paper, I have pretty much gone over to Ilford's MG4.  For fiber work,
>though, I find ORWO's papers magnificent:  these papers are produced in a
>plant which can hardly be thought of as 'environmentally friendly' and the
>silver content is quite high.  Their semi-matte paper is quite like those
>wonderful Agfa papers of the '50's.  Freestyle in LA stocks it.  I don't
>know how much longer it will be available:  Agfa took the plant -- their
>original site -- back in 1991 and the West German environmental laws are
>GRADUALLY being imposed over the former DDR.  But, for now, it is great
>stuff.  I believe Freestyle hawks it under the "Europe's Finest" label --
>truth-in-advertising, for once!

Unfortunately, it is no longer available. German newsletters reported that there will be color films under the "Orwo" label but they won't be produced in Wolfen anymore. There will be no more "Orwo" paper.

A friend of mine who works at the University of Freiberg in the former GDR provided me with some boxes of Orwo paper. [They had to take photos of scientific articles in order to reproduce them because nobody was allowed to own a xerox-copy machine... Therefore they stocked tons of the paper.] I really love the paper although the grade slightly differs from box to box. The only fiber base paper that I like even more is Guilleminot from France. It has also vanished now...

Bye, Edi.