To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Some reflections; Leica thoughts
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 22:21:00 -0700

At 10:01 PM 4/27/96 -0400, you wrote:

>3. For 100 ASA - this is under construction - I've been using T-MAX 100,
>processed as above (10 1/2 min for N and 7 min for N-1) but am not happy.  I
>don't feel the 2 stop loss is adequately compensated by a commensurate
>reduction in grain - the grain in the prints looks about the same as with
>the 400.  I'm considering trying 100 feet of the new Ilford Delta 100.  Any
>stories from anyone out there?

I gave up HC-110 after starting to use T-Max 400. It didn't give me the
grain that D-76 and T-Max Developer did and highlights were trouble. But I
used Dil. B, not E like you. But that was my first exposures with TMax 400,
and it was actually being beta tested for Kodak at the time, so maybe it was
only with early stuff. But the absolute best developer I've found for T-Max
400 and 100 for me is Press Maxx Developer. It gives the tonality of Tri-X
with T-Max grain.

I like the 100 film a lot. With Press Maxx, or D-76 or even T-Max Dev., but
not as much, it does give much finer grain and a longer tonal scale than the
400. I've tried some Delta 100 with T-Max developer, and I find it sharper
and finer grain than the T-Max 100. In fact, if I were to buy more 100 speed
black and white film I would go with Delta. Wonderful tonal scale too.

Eric Welch
Grants Pass Daily Courier