To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: 50 Summicron DR
From: Michael Volow <mvolo@acpub.duke.edu>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 22:20:02 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

The DR Summicron 50/2 is a wonderfully engineered lens, both optically and
phyically. With the "eyes" it focuses down to about 19". To achieve this,
one simply pulls out on the spring loaded focussing ring, moves it over a
detent, and place on the "eyes" (they slide on over a keyway) and focus
through the rangefinder. Parallax correction continues down to the closest
distance, important for closeups. No dismounting of the lens is needed.

On Fri, 26 Apr 1996, Charles E. Dunlap wrote:

> Date: Fri, 26 Apr 96 14:58:18 -0700
> From: Charles E. Dunlap <cdunlap@rupture.ucsc.edu>
> To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
> Subject: 50 Summicron DR
>
> I'm considering one of these and have a couple (or three) questions.
>
> 1) What is the close focus distance for these lenses?
>
> 2) What does the conversion from normal focussing to close focussing
> inolve? Do I have to remove the lens and put in a spacing ring (ie. a
> small extension tube) or is the adjustment accomplished internally?
>
> 3) Can I achieve the same thing with a normal 50 Summicron-M using an
> extension tube, or are the optics of the DR corrected better for work
> close up?
>
> -Charlie
>
> Charles E. Dunlap
> Earth Sciences Dept.
> University of California
> Santa Cruz, CA 95064

Michael Volow, M.D. (mvolo@acpub.duke.edu)
Department of Psychiatry, Durham VA Medical Center, Durham, NC
919 286 0411 Ext 6933