To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: The autofocus Leica M
From: "joe b." <joe@azurite.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 04:28:18 +0100

In message <2.2.32.19960422022926.00692040@gp.magick.net>, Eric Welch
<ewelch@gp.magick.net> writes
>I don't think the Leica M will ever go that way. Remember the cool reception
>of the M5? It was partly due to size. If they were to add this system to the
>M camera, it would be HUGE! Have you seen pictures of the AX? It's bigger
>than the RTSIII. Even if you don't have to move the mirror and prism, you
>have to move the meter as well as shutter and film plane, and you have to
>put the rails for the "moveable" parts to move on, driven by an ultrasonic
>motor, which will need space too.
>
>And with an external attachment to focus, the M loses a major advantage over
>SLRs, size. I can see this being added to the R series. It's never going to
>be added to the M system is my bet.

I propose a solution to the M6 autofocus problem (I know- there isn't
one- but bear with me). Adapting the clever Contax idea of not moving
the lens, but putting the film and the meter and all the rest on rails
so it can all shunt backwards and forwards inside the camera- I propose
an autofocus accessory, usable with any quality manual focus camera.
Simply put the subject on a stage which travels on rails so it can be
whizzed backwards and forwards to achieve near-instantaneous focus. The
movement is controlled by a uniformed operator, and the photographer
simply shouts "Backwards!" or "Forwards!" in a commanding voice, and the
operator, sitting on the rear of the motorised stage, concealed behind a
backcloth painted with suitable landscape scenery, pulls or pushes the
operating lever and the stage immediately shunts into focus- a quick
shout of "Stop!" will cause the operator to brake, arresting movement
and locking focus.
--
joe b.

Replies: Reply from Wolfgang Sachse <sachse@msc.cornell.edu> (Re: The autofocus Leica M... Patent it!)