To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica-Users List Digest V1 #34
From: Gary J Toop <gtoop@uoguelph.ca>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 1996 15:57:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 19 Apr 1996, Eric Welch wrote:

SNIP

> No, light bouncing off the film back is not refracting. Refraction is
> when light passes from one medium to another (from air into glass for
> example) and it changes direction (bends).
>
> Diffraction is when light scatters becuase it's hitting the edge of
> something. Neither of which is what you're talking about. The reason the
> image is slightly unsharp because of "halation" is that the grains of
> silver are being exposed with non-imaging light. It's creating a halo
> around the grain - thus the reason the backing on film is called
> anti-halation backing. Which is the same function of the black inside
> the paper on 120 film.
>
> So you have the right concept, here, but the words need some adjusting.
> <g>

	I am willing to stand corrected on my terminology.  There was a
very interesting discussion of this topic on "rec.photo.darkroom" a year
and a half ago or so and I think that the term "diffraction" was used,
but I could be mistaken.  Since I haven't been able to dig up my copies
of the original discussion, I cannot say for sure that "diffraction" was
indeed the term that was used and, of course, those using it could have
been mistaken.  I do stand behind the explanation of the mechanics of the
effect, though.  My apologies if the terminology confused anyone.

Gary Toop