To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: M6 metering
From: "Charles E. Albertson" <chucko@eskimo.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 23:33:45 -0700

At 10:22 PM 4/18/96 CST, Sweendog wrote:
>Hi group,
>
>I've got a quick question on the M6 (I'm thinking of buying one and
>gettin rid of my M3). With the metering and the recent discussion over
>the zone system, how would you apply that to the M6? I guess what I'm
>asking is how do you know what area is being metered & with what
>different lenses, since true zone system-ing requires a spot meter.

     As a rule of thumb (and I got this from the late Andrew Matheson's
book, "Leica M6: Rangefinder Practice M6 to M1), use the finder frame for
the lens that is 50% longer than the one you are metering through. For
example, click the frame selector to the 75mm frame if you're metering with
a 50mm, use the 50mm frame is you're shooting with a 35mm, use the 135mm
frame for the 90mm lens, etc. It seems to work OK for me.

Charles E. Albertson
Seattle, Wash.
chucko@mail.eskimo.com

Replies: Reply from William Hong <hong@cps.cmich.edu> (Re: M6 metering)