To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica-Users List Digest V1 #34
From: tkc@hkstar.com (TK Chan)
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 22:54:26 +0800 (HKT)

>On Fri, 12 Apr 1996, Gary J Toop wrote:

>>Thus, a
>> thinner film base will have two effects:  it will decrease the amount of
>> diffraction, improving sharpness at least a little, and it will permit
>> the direct passage of a little more light.  This latter effect may be
>> more significant if you are using a condenser rather than a diffusion
>> enlarger, although I am not sure.  The backing used with 120 film permits
>> the use of a thinner film base, I believe.
>>
>> 	So, unless someone else out there has some reason to believe that
>> that account is not correct, there is probably at least a slight
>> difference between the sharpness of 35mm and 120 films which is due to
>> the difference in thickness of their respective film bases.

I am no technical man on this subject but from actual experience in the use
of the 120 and 135 films, I have the following observations:

(a) I've use the Kodak Gold 120 and 135 for experiment, when the 120 and 135
images are enlarged to the same ratio (not print size), the print made from
the 135 image produces far better quality in terms of definition and
sharpness. I know that this depended on many variables, the lens quality
being a vital factor. But my ignorant guess is that the 135 emulsion is of
better quality than that of the 120. This wild guess is based on the fact
that 135 film is more and more accepted for commercial use and very
enlargement is required so the film manufacturer will need to ensure that a
good quality enlargment size is possible. On the other hand, the 120 is
already 3 times the size of the 135, so given the enlargement is to the same
print size, the quality is made up by the advantage of the larger film area.
Therefore, the quality of the emulsion can be compromised.  I know this is
very non-sense guess but very actual in experience.

(b) The question of light diffraction resulted from thickness of the film
base is true. Anyone doing enlargement will know that whether the film is
placed with the base up or down in the enlarger, a difference in the
sharpness of the print is noticeable.

TK Chan
tkc@hkstar.com

Replies: Reply from Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net> (Re: Leica-Users List Digest V1 #34)