To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Phillistines who own Leicas (fwd)
From: Jack Campin <jack@purr.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 00:52:32 +0000

> I would strongly suggest getting your hands on the last edition of Ansel
> Adam's book  The Negative and reading the first two or three chapters where
> exposure and the zone system are explained.  Alternatively, you could get a
> copy of Fred Picker's Zone VI Workshop.  There are probably other good books
> out there about the Zone system.  The Zone system is much easier to grasp
> than many technophiles and understanding the principles by which is works
> are, in my opinion, extremely useful even if you never use the system.

I think it's just plain nuts to recommend this mumbo-jumbo to a newcomer
with a Leica.  I used to have Minor White's book on it, long since ditched
in another continent; the least useful photography book I have ever owned.
(The bogus-classical posturing of White's pictures doesn't do much for me,
either).  Get a straight down-to-earth text that explains stuff like what
flare is and how to avoid it, why you don't always want to use the same
film and what choices you've got, what hyperfocal distance is and why it
matters... none of which is in _The Negative_.  And, in parallel with that,
look at _pictures_, lots of them.

The zone system is intended for people with the time to meter each little
detail in what they're photographing, hunting out the deepest shadows and
brightest highlights, and ideally fiddling around with processing to treat
every negative differently.  The last is flat impossible except with a sheet
film camera; and for what Leicas are best at - shooting fast in unpredictable
situations - you never have time to do all that metering, and in the worst
case you could end up run over, shot or devoured by wildlife while wondering
whether to place that rhino poacher's gun barrel in Zone I or II.  (And it's
no help at all with the most immediate problems of handling colour films).
The results of this craze are scads of technically spiffy images with zero
feeling or content; like advertising images that didn't make it to the
billboard.  From people who think "visualization" means only how to monkey
about with tonal scales, not how to know when something out there in the
world in front of you *needs* to be seen by others...

jack@purr.demon.co.uk  -  Jack Campin, 2 Haddington Place, Edinburgh EH7 4AE

Replies: Reply from Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net> (Re: Phillistines who own Leicas (fwd))
Reply from Gary J Toop <gtoop@uoguelph.ca> (Re: Phillistines who own Leicas (fwd))