To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: 120 film vs. 36mm film
From: Gary J Toop <gtoop@uoguelph.ca>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 15:00:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 12 Apr 1996, Eric Welch wrote:

> Paper backing allowes little windows on the film backs to show the
> writing on the back of the film without fogging the film. And there is
> less reason to have high-resolution and contast than 35mm film. That's a
> function of emulsion, and I don't think that's different. Lack of flare
> will make a difference, but I don't think base density would influece
> those two factors.

	I believe that film-base density has two effects on sharpness
and fog.  Since base is not completely transparent, it does very slightly
limit the amount of light which passes through it and, the thicker the
base, the more it does this.  This may have the effect of somewhat
mitgating the other effect of film base thickness:  the distance between
the emulsion and the reflective backing permits some diffraction of light
particles as they bounce off the backing and back through the emulsion.
The greater the distance, the greater the amount of diffraction.  Thus, a
thinner film base will have two effects:  it will decrease the amount of
diffraction, improving sharpness at least a little, and it will permit
the direct passage of a little more light.  This latter effect may be
more significant if you are using a condenser rather than a diffusion
enlarger, although I am not sure.  The backing used with 120 film permits
the use of a thinner film base, I believe.

	So, unless someone else out there has some reason to believe that
that account is not correct, there is probably at least a slight
difference between the sharpness of 35mm and 120 films which is due to
the difference in thickness of their respective film bases.

Hope this clear up some things.
Gary Toop

Replies: Reply from Gary J Toop <gtoop@uoguelph.ca> (Re: 120 film vs. 36mm film)