To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us, leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Which M6?
From: beamon@primenet.com (Roger L. Beamon)
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 06:30:18 -0700 (MST)

>My M6 gets used, but then, that's my interest. No superiority assumed.

Sure, there's a place for collectors, and, I, for one, am glad for their
presence. You often hear the strict shooters lamenting over the collectors
forcing the price of the product to unreasonable heights. This is true for
the collectable stuff, but that, typically, is not what the shooter is using.

The price of new Leica cameras is not determined with an eye toward the
effect the collectors will have down the line. (The possible exception being
those previously mentioned commemorative and commissioned production runs)
New stuff is priced based on the existing market and company goals. The fact
that the collector exists, plus inflation, is the reason that you can
reasonably expect to use your now current stuff for years, yet sell it for
as much or more than you paid for it. Though this scenario is not written in
stone, history has made it so through the present.

It is the collectors who enhance and punctuate the aura and mystique of
Leica. It is because of intangibles like those, that I lusted for Leica for
50 years and only recently became sated.
    --
    Roger Beamon,  Natural History Interpreter & Photographer
                              Docent: Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum