To: LEICA-USERS@MEJAC.PALO-ALTO.CA.US
Subject: 50 Summicron again
From: Sweendog <sweenma@WKUVX1.WKU.EDU>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 1996 19:21:14 CST

Hi group,

I've seen a 50 Summicron with the little tab thingy on it and was
wondering what, if any is its name. Does it have any distinguishing
characteristics from the new design other than the removable lens hood,
like filter size difference? If I call up a camera store will they
know which one I want to buy?

I think the tab is very useful, as far as technique goes. It is
possible to focus accurately without using the rangefinder at all,
only by feeling the position of the tab and judging the distance
from you to your subject. This makes for faster photographs, using
the viewfinder merely for framing.

Regards,

                          Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
     Mike Sweeney         I took the one less traveled by,
sweenma@wkuvx1.wku.edu    And that has made all the difference.
                                                 - Robert Frost

Replies: Reply from "joe b." <joe@azurite.demon.co.uk> (50 Summicron -focusing by feel)