To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us, leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: 50 Summicron-M subtleties
From: beamon@primenet.com (Roger L. Beamon)
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 17:22:46 -0700 (MST)

>I got the latest Leica M6 catalogue on Friday. Aside from cringing at prose
>that is imperfectly translated from German (an "und" crops up in place of
>an and in one instance) and wishing that the information were more
>substantial and less repetitive and clumsy in trying to describe the
>"mystique" of the camera and lenses: aside from these reactions I noticed
>that the latest 50 Summicron had been redesigned.

You must admit, Charlie, that the translations are, though not perfect, as good
as, and probably better than those from the far east.

>The lens that I had been used to had a removable lens hood (a bit of a pain
>really) and a finger rest underneath to assist in focussing. The current
>version (as I confirmed by calling Leica this morning) replaces the finger
>rest with a standard knurled ring and adds a built-in, retractable lens
>hood.
>
>I will be buying my own 50 Summicron-M soon and would like to know if
>anyone finds the finger rest indispensible. I haven't used the camera
>enough to be able to focus by instinct using the finger rest position. If I
>buy the new lens then I will not have this option (it still exists on the
>35 and 28), but I will have a much more convenient (to me) lens hood.

Recently bought an M6 (my first Leica, after a lifetime of lusting) and the
35mm Summicron. Coming from other systems, I found the finger rest an
inconvenience. I would rather have the palin knurled ring that can be
grabbed anywhere. The finger rest gets in my way if I'm trying to use the
rest of the ring as a plain ring and thus forces me to hunt for the finger
rest. Lens is a fine performer, however.
    --
    Roger Beamon,  Natural History Interpreter & Photographer
                              Docent: Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum