To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: 50 Summicron-M subtleties
From: cdunlap@rupture.ucsc.edu (Charles E. Dunlap)
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 10:32:06 -0800

Hello, group. I like the fact that some of you are always game to discuss
the details of Leica equipment that border on trivial. So, here we go...

I got the latest Leica M6 catalogue on Friday. Aside from cringing at prose
that is imperfectly translated from German (an "und" crops up in place of
an and in one instance) and wishing that the information were more
substantial and less repetitive and clumsy in trying to describe the
"mystique" of the camera and lenses: aside from these reactions I noticed
that the latest 50 Summicron had been redesigned.

The lens that I had been used to had a removable lens hood (a bit of a pain
really) and a finger rest underneath to assist in focussing. The current
version (as I confirmed by calling Leica this morning) replaces the finger
rest with a standard knurled ring and adds a built-in, retractable lens
hood.

I will be buying my own 50 Summicron-M soon and would like to know if
anyone finds the finger rest indispensible. I haven't used the camera
enough to be able to focus by instinct using the finger rest position. If I
buy the new lens then I will not have this option (it still exists on the
35 and 28), but I will have a much more convenient (to me) lens hood.

I'll appreciate your opinions.

-Charlie

Charles Dunlap
Earth Sciences Dept.