To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Angenieux etc
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 1996 08:51:31 -0500
Cc: "joe b." <joe@azurite.demon.co.uk>

At 02:55 AM 4/2/96 +0100, "joe b." wrote:

>And for that matter, are there any other non-Leica lenses that are
>particularly special that anyone can think of (for Leica cameras that
>is)?

My records indicate that Angenieux made the 3.5/35 X1, the 2.9/50 Z5, a
1.8/50, the 2.5/90 Y1, and the 3.5/135 Y2 in LTM;  there may have been
others.  There are hundreds of fine and not-so-fine lenses made over the
years for LTM from scads of manufacturers:  Hans Rajner's count, at my last
communication with him, was 350 lenses and I believe he lists a bunch more
than this in that most helpful appendix to his _Leica Copies_.

The big players in LTM lenses, of course, were Nikon and Canon, for the
American market, but worldwide the Russians and Ukrainians swamp even the
large output of these Japanese lenses.  Hundreds of thousands of Zorki and
FED lenses have been produced since the 1930's, and production continues
today in both countries, a tremendous monument to the basic genius of Oscar
Barnack and his original design.  LTM lenses have been in continuous
production on three continents, at least, and in at least nine countries for
more than six decades, a record which, I suspect, will stand for a long,
long time.

Marc
msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!