To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Russian Leica M
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 13:48:17 -0500
Cc: jredfern@ftn.net (Jae Redfern)

First, the Chinese made exact copies of the 1.4/50 Summilux, 2/90 Summicron,
and 1.4/35 Summilux, I recall.  More details can be found in Hans P Rajner's
most useful _Leica Copies_ (published under the rather transparent pen-name
of 'HPR').

I shoot a lot with European glass on my Leicas, Russian and Kilfitts and
Carl Zeiss Jena and Schacht and Schneider lenses.  Love 'em all, the Zeiss
the best.  The Russian lenses (20mm to 135mm) are still in production and
are quite reasonable:  a good user is available in most focal lengths for
under $100, and even the 5.6/20 Russar MR-2 with viewfinder can be had for
under $300.  The last is my standard wide-angle: I use it on my M6 with a
Leica TM to M adaptor.  I don't know what he has in stock at the moment, but
Mark Chaney (203/756-0412) generally has a slew of these lenses for sale at
astoningishly low prices.

I have authored a book on European and American LTM lenses, to be published
at some vague date in the future by Rita Wittig in Germany.  I'll post
details when and if it sees the light of day!

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!

Replies: Reply from Michael Volow <mvolo@acpub.duke.edu> (Re: Russian Leica M)